Thursday, May 19, 2011

Roberto

I can imagine that it has to be really difficult to be friends with an infertile, like me.  What do you say? How do you show your support?  How do you remain sensitive to your friends struggles? And the questions go on and on... 

I would like to thank all of my friends who have shown their support over the past few months, well actually years.  But today, I would like to send a special thank you to my friend Erin.  Erin and I met in college and went through the School of Education together at UW-Milwaukee.  We had a blast getting to know one another while pursuing our student teaching experiences.  She is now a teacher and soccer coach in Minnesota.    Over the past year, there have been times I found myself creating distance between us.  For example, when I miscarried while she was pg this past summer or when I was going through treatments around the same time her first daughter was born.  She always found a way to not only forgive me, but to understand.  I miss her every single day.  I pray that one day I can find peace in my own life and make up for all the lost time my infertility has caused.  I hope someday I can be half of the friend she has been to me. 

Even though we're hundreds of miles apart Erin can always find a way to make me smile...whether it's a silly text about Becky from Blockbuster who misses me, a shout out to Timothy (our imaginary friend from our old neighborhood who is infatuated with burritos), or a surprise visit from Roberto (our traveling stuffed snake).  Erin - Thank you for never giving up on me, or our friendship.  Your unconditional love & and support holds me afloat.  

And don't worry...Roberto made it safe and sound. 

(Roberto arrived on my door step on Wednesday via UPS...special delivery to bring me a smile...and as you can see, it sure worked!) 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

having good friends and keeping them through this journey is not only important by so special. I can imagine the ups and downs they too go through when 'dealing' with us. It can't be any harder though than what we go through watching them have kids. They know we love them. They know it is hard. But to know it is hard on them and acknowledge that and appreciate them for that, thats important!

Andrea said...

Friends like that are so tough to come by! I'm so glad you have a friend like Erin who is so patient and understanding and loves you unconditionally! I LOVE Roberto...what a great "tool" to have between you for when times get tough and you just need to smile!

Erin said...

Okay, lol...I sure hope you don't loose some followers after telling everyone about Timothy! I can't stop laughing as I think about what people who have never met us must be wondering! I guess I really shouldn't talk considering my speech at your wedding! Love you!

P.S. Buckwheat looks a little jealous of Roberto!